Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lucky #4?

I was in a car accident on Sunday night. It was about 11:00 and I was leaving my friend Jon-Michael's place. I took a route home I don't normally take, just because I hadn't been that way in a while and I was trying to switch up my routine. I also thought about stopping by the post office to drop something off, but decided against it at the last second and went on going forward where I was instead of turning off. As I approached the intersection of East Maxwell and South MLK downtown, my light was green. There's a slight curve as you approach the intersection, so visibility isn't that great as far as being able to see the traffic soming down Maxwell (which is one-way). Right up on the intersection I could see there was a car coming, and although his light was red he was not slowing down. I sped up a little bit hoping to beat him past the intersection (because I knew braking would have been futile), but he still hit me. The impact was on the rear passenger side door. That tire also blew out, and I spun at least once before coming to a stop between a utility pole and a walk/don't walk sign post. My side airbags also deployed. I am fine, just a little sore, but my car is going to be in the body shop for possibly three weeks. Unfortunately it is not totalled. That actually would have helped me out tremendously financially if it were.

I am relieved that there was no damage to my body in any way and that I didn't slam into that utility pole before stopping. I have become very cynical lately about the existence of God, but there's no denying a higher power when something like that happens to you and you come out unscathed. I've actually been really worried this year about something happening to me. My uncle died at the age of 25 so I just don't want history to repeat with me. It's interesting, though. He died four months after his 25th birthday, and my 25th was...four months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment