Friday, April 9, 2010

homecoming

It seems like two thirds of my blog posts are just me feeling sorry for myself. I can't help it if I have an inclination towards depression.

I used to go home to see my family every weekend whenever I first started college, but all I did during my time there was work, so I got a job here in Lexington so I could remedy that. Of course, this also caused me to go home less often. I still have managed to go home at least once a month for the last five years, sometimes even three times a month. So, even if I only went home once a month, over five years that's a minimum of sixty trips. Each trip has a total driving time of at least two and a half hours, depending on traffic. That means I have spent a MINIMUM of 150 hours on the road visiting my family. I know it's been more due to the frequency of times I travelled there in my first six months of college, plus extra trips for birthday parties and such. And there's the fact that I rarely make the trip in an hour fifteen. How many times have they come to visit me? Including graduation and to see a play I was in freshman year, I would say maybe twice a year. Let's give them a little leeway and say they've come up a dozen times. Twelve trips equals a minimum of thirty hours driving time. Incredibly miniscule next to my trips down there.

So, should I be mad if they can't make time for me when I do come to visit? I think I have every right to.

I won't even start with the other ways I feel ignored and neglected. I think that's enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment