Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Guess who's back? Back again. Shady's back. Tell a friend.

No more quoting Eminem, I swear.

I have decided to implement a five-year plan to get myself out of debt. I realize five years seems like a relatively long time, but when you consider the fact that I have $50,000 in student loan debt, then it's not that long at all. Of course, I don't have any plans of being rid of my student loan debt by then. It will be financially impossible, unless I were to move back in with my parents for like three years.

So here's the plan. If I pay about $35 extra a month (beyond the minimum payment) toward my credit card I can have it paid off by August 2013. I have one of my student loans deferred for six months and the others for three months, so if I apply for a modified repayment plan on the three loans, in three months I can start saving to buy my car once my lease is up. Even I only save half of what I need to buy my car and then finance the rest, I could have it paid off within about four and a half years. That's four and half years from now, not from when my lease is up. Now, once my car is paid I can start taking a major portion of my money that was allotted for my car payment and apply that toward my student loans. If I'm lucky, with bonuses and raises over the next five years, I will have no credit card debt, a car that's paid for, and be well on my way to paying my student loans off early. I'd really like to have those paid off within fifteen years instead of the twenty five that is my estimated payoff time.

Now all I wish is that I had some sort of super budget-calculating spreadsheet so that I could map all this out.

2 comments:

  1. Can you figure out a plan for me to pay off $270K in the next, say, 300 years? Don't forget interest.

    *stabs self*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, Ashley, over 300 years that's only $80 a month or so. That's totally affordable.

    ReplyDelete