Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dear Ellen DeGeneres

Ellen, I am a huge fan of your show and watch it every chance that I get. Your energy is infectious, and you make so many people happy with what you do. I write to you today with a conundrum. It's a small problem in the scheme of things, but I ask simply for a listening ear, or in this case, eye. I feel it's best for me to give you a little background information about myself so that you can fully understand my problem.

My name is Lora Riggs and last May I graduated from the University of Kentucky with a Bachelor of Arts in English. As much as I enjoyed my time in college, the current economic downturn has left me stuck in the same customer service job that I held during my last year of school. I do make more than I ever have at my current job, but with the repayment of college loans looming over my shoulders, I am just as broke as ever. Just paying for my living expenses and the loans on my used car leave me just enough money to buy food and gas each month and rarely do I have any money left over for myself. I enjoy no luxuries. I do not have cable or internet at home, and I don't even have a couch in the apartment I have lived in for the last ten months.

The reason I am writing to you is that for over half of my life (I am 23), I have been an avid Bette Midler fan. I own all of her albums and listen to her often. I love watching Bette's old music videos and TV specials and every day I pray for the day that her television series Bette! will be released on DVD. Bette Midler is the love of my life - you can ask anyone who has ever known me for more than a week, and they can attest to this. Bette's first tour that she did since I have been a fan was Divine Miss Millennium. At the time, I was just a freshman in high school and had no way of seeing her live. She was too far away. Ever since then, circumstances have never matched up so that I could travel to see Bette perform. I was hoping that with her current stay in Vegas, I would be able to make it. But alas, there is always some unexpected expense (car repairs, etc.) that has heretofore still left me financially incapable of traveling to Vegas.

So I write to you today, Ellen, for help. All I've ever wanted is to see Bette Midler live. It would be the greatest moment of my life. I just need a little help getting there.

Thank you for your time, and I wish you good luck and happiness in all that you do!

Sincerely,
Lora Riggs

12 comments:

  1. This is some pretty impressive devotion to a goal. Lora, you must be the biggest Bette Midler fan on the planet! Good luck to you, ma'am, I hope it all works out!

    -Chris H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ellen,
    As a celebrity yourself, I'm sure you have heard the phrase, "I'm your biggest fan." It is easy to dismiss and simply assume the fan enjoys the celebrity's work, or admires their beauty.

    I can honestly say Lora Riggs is Bette Midler's biggest fan. I've known Lora for 12 years and in that time her dedication has never wavered. Can you imagine a sixth grader who chose to forgo Ace of Base, Mariah Carey and Ricky Martin in favor of Bette Midler? That takes both courage and dedication, especially when you come from a place that encourages everyone to be as homogeneous as possible.

    Lora's love of Bette is beyond simply enjoying Bette's talents. Bette has shaped her life and made her the person she is today. Bette must be doing something right, because Lora is one of the most amazing people I've ever met and deserves everything in the world.

    What makes Lora special is that she doesn't want everything. She's never been caught up in status symbols. In a time when it is common for people our age to still be mooching off their parents, Lora is wholly self-sufficient. In the entire time I've known Lora, it seems the only thing she's truly wanted that she hasn't been able to obtain is to see Bette perform.

    Please help my friend, Ellen. No one is more deserving.

    Thank you,
    Ashley Vanover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Lora--good luck getting to Vegas!

    Ms. DeGeneres, your karma will skyrocket if you help her out with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything I know about Bette Midler I learned from Lora Riggs.

    True statement. Helping Lora get to Vegas to see Bette will be like helping a child find their long lost mother!

    Laura Sykes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lora, you are to Bette Midler what Travis is to DMB.

    Dear Ellen,
    Hey, I liked your show back in the day. The sitcom one. My friend Lora really likes Bette Midler but she might try to kill her and wear her skin so double her security for a few months.

    I'm just kidding Lora, I would never kneecap your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen, she speaks the truth. Not only does she religiously watch your show, she is a devoted fan of Bette Midler, and she is truly, truly broke. Three days before payday she will be eating a banana for lunch. I can't get her to go out with me unless we do something free. And just recently, her car was hit-and-run, and she is stuck with paying her insurance deductible just because some jerk doesn't want to face the consequences of their actions.
    And she has been talking about this Bette Midler show for months, hoping she could scrounge up the dough. She's not one to spend money on herself, she has never even been to the beach, and she really really deserves this one little treat. Because it's a big treat to her. I bet if you got her two tickets, she'd take you with her!

    Be the wind beneath Lora's wings!
    Meagan

    P.S.- Say hi to Gladys for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lora definitely deserves this if anyone does. What else could I say? Please help her make her dreams come true.

    Amanda W.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are friggin' Devoted! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey awesome on letting it all out there, but small problem, the link on myspace doesn't work...they deemed it offensive so yeah....myspace sucks

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is pretty amazing, I hope that Ellen gets wind of it and everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ellen or Lora,

    Lora is not exaggerating her love for Bette or your show. She is a bigger Bette fan than my mother and consequently the biggest Bette fan I know. If anyone deserves anything Lora does. I have worked with Lora for a little over a year now and her job isn't easy... I know because they have her doing everything I used to do, she is split 3 or 4 different ways in her 'positions' and I know she isn't getting the proper compensation she deserves. I can attest to this and her financial situation as I was at her apartment recently for a get together and there really was NO furniture. The only items of furniture I think she actually posses are a bed, night stand, and something or other she keeps her Wizard of Oz Barbie Dolls on display. (Apart from the Wizard of Oz thing she's got going on) She eats, breaths, and sleeps to Bette Midler.. and of course, whenever I get in the car with her.. It is the ONLY music she plays.

    Make her dreams come true, and we will all be in debted to you! Thanks!
    Morganne

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reminds me of those girls from "Bette or Bust." A good book, but such devotion to Bette Midler isn't as rare as one would think! You might enjoy the book. Good luck on your mission.

    ReplyDelete