Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Bette!

December 1st is my favorite day of the year because, yes folks, it is Bette Midler's birthday. Today I celebrate the life and career of this woman that I hold so dear to my heart. I am listening to her albums on my iPod while I'm at work today. I'm up to Broken Blossom so far. (I keep getting interrupted by phone calls!)

I just found this article on Slate today. It's about the Disney Channel show The Suite Life on Deck and how the lessons the show teaches about "scoring chicks" isn't something that should be targeted to the age group that most watches the show (6-11 year olds). Although I agree with the content, the final paragraph borders on infuriating. Here's a snippet:

"Right now, a startling volume of tween culture is devoted, directly or indirectly, to puttin' on a show in the manner of Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. It seems important to remember that things didn't work out too well for Judy in the long run."

That doesn't seem like a necessary reference to me (read the article to see what I mean), and I'm sure if Liza were coherent and she heard about this, she would raise some HELL.

No comments:

Post a Comment