Tuesday, November 30, 2010

as yet untitled story

A little snippet from a story I've been working on:

I stood at the bar casually stirring my tequila sunrise. Kathy was late, as usual. They had the TVs on with some sporting event playing, par for the course. I’ve never been much for sports, but every girl enjoys cute guys in tight pants, so I glanced up to see what was on. Just about the same time, a guy sitting at a corner table caught my eye. He looked tall because he had solid posture, despite the fact that his elbows were resting on the small round table and he was leaning into the wood ever so slightly. He was dressed in dark khakis and a navy blue Ralph Lauren polo. He had a beer in one of his oversized hands, and I wondered if he had ever played basketball. Just as my eyes started to travel from the nape of his neck down toward his backside, he caught me observing him. I turned swiftly back to my drink, taking a hard swig as I tapped my index finger on the glass in time. I made sure my glass was at my lips for five solid seconds, giving him a little time to direct his gaze elsewhere. Setting the glass back on the bar, I stared ahead for another moment, hoping to give the impression that I was thinking about something. Time to look again. I turned my head to the left again, but made sure to look at the television first this time. Of course I wasn’t really interested in the football game, but he didn’t have to know that. Not right away, at least. Finally, after a play was completed, I decided it was time to take another peek. I looked down and inadvertently locked eyes with Mystery Man. His eyes were a deep blue, almost cerulean. I pursed my lips into a very faint smile and simultaneously directed my eyes toward the floor. Wow. He was beautiful. I looked quickly at my watch to show that I was waiting for someone, and then I looked in the direction of the front door.


Maybe he would think I was waiting for a date. After all, I was dressed fairly nicely. Pink satin blouse, my pinstriped pencil skirt, a pair of nude heels. I had even curled my hair that morning. Come to think of it, I was looking pretty hot. Oh, Kathy, I remembered. Shit, still not here. Oh well. Time to check out the hottie some more. I tossed my hair off of my left shoulder and as I started to turn my head back toward him, I could feel a presence beside me. Suddenly my eyes were staring right at his firm chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment