Sunday, September 5, 2010

Stevie Challenge - Day 2

I'm bored, so I'll go ahead and get a jumpstart on the next entry.

Day 02 – Favorite album, and favorite song off that album

Aaaahhh! This is sooo hard. The absolute best thing about Stevie is her songwriting, and it is so hard to pick a favorite album because they all really fit well together. While I love the fact that Bette's style can go all over the place, and with such ease on her part, Stevie's albums always have a similar sound as a whole (sometimes with the exception of one or two songs). The fact that her albums are so cohesive makes it really hard to choose between them. Each one means something to me based upon a mood or situation taking place at a certain time. There is no doubt that her first two albums are her best. She was at a high point both creatively and vocally, and those two albums came before her addictions really started to overwhelm her (cocaine first, then Klonopin later on). Don't get me wrong; I love cocaine-addled, electro-pop Stevie as much as I love Stevie as rock goddess, but the "rock goddess" part in her does contain a certain mystique. Keeping all of these things in mind, I shall now make my decision on favorite album.

Bella Donna, 1981. Stevie's first solo album. This was the beginning of "Is Fleetwood Mac breaking up?", that age old question. 30 years later, and they're still intact, for the most part. Bella Donna featured a lot of great songs, and when it came time for Stevie to release a boxed set 17 years later, eight of the ten tracks on this album made it onto the compilation. While the timeless "Edge of Seventeen", "Leather and Lace", and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" are on this album, I have to choose "After the Glitter Fades" as my favorite song. It sums up the rock and roll lifestyle so beautifully, and contains this line: "Even though the living is sometimes laced with lies, it's alright. The feeling remains even after the glitter fades." Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment