Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bette Challenge - Day 2

Day 02 – Favorite album, and favorite song off that album

This is likely to be the most difficult day for me, considering how vastly different each of Bette's albums are. Her live stuff is always fantastic just because it gives you a taste of what a great all-around performer she is. Her debut The Divine Miss M is really unique and almost has the sound of something that was independently produced. I love the ...Rosemary Clooney Songbook because that album combines two of my favorite things (Bette and Rosemary, natch). But I guess I would have to say my favorite is Bathhouse Betty. It was the first new album she released after I became a fan, so it holds that sentimental significance for me. Also, she did a live performance of one of the songs off that album on The Rosie O'Donnell Show and the whole portion of the show that she did that day was so much fun! I love the dress and wig she wore on the cover of that album, but really it's just a great album. The songs vary from moving to zany; there's absolutely no way to put a label on it, and that's why I love that album!

Favorite song on Bathhouse Betty has to be "Lullaby in Blue". A song from the point of view of a mother who gave a child up for adoption, this never fails to bring me to tears. It's arguably one of Bette's best vocal performances on record. There are a few that deserve honorable mention as well, but I'd end up naming over half the songs, so we'll just leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment